May 03, 2011

Crustless Quiche

Today is my mom's birthday, so this is a little shout out to her. (Happy Birthday, mom!)

My mom and I have our own funny little language that makes us crack right up at each other. Here is an example: We say "quiche" as if it were pronounced "keechee." lol. (I'm totally laughing right now.) So, every time I say the name of this recipe, I say "Crustless Keechee" and laugh on the inside.

Sorry for the lame photo quality...blame it on the phone.

Here is what you need:
  • 9 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 5 strips thick bacon
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of pepper
  • cooking spray

Here is what you do:
  • Heat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Place bacon on baking sheet with grooves and bake for 12 minutes or until mostly crispy but not too crisp.
  • While bacon cooks, whisk eggs, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper together until frothy.
  • Stir in grated cheese.
  • Place cooked bacon on bottom of greased glass round baking dish.
  • Slowly pour mixture over bacon. Don't worry if bacon rises to the top or floats in the mixture. That's totally fine.
  • Bake at 400 degrees for about 4o to 45 minutes, checking on the quiche (keechee-lol) every few minutes around that time. You're looking for it to start to come away from the sides, be a bit golden brown, and all of the inner gooey mixture to become a bit firm, but not terribly firm. 
  • Sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper.
  • Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
  • Note: If you like green onions, feel free to add those. 

Enjoy! This quiche (keechee - hehe) really is quite delicious, especially with the onion powder and garlic powder. They add a special flavor that I love. (I usually reach for those flavors for most of my dishes...except desserts. Gag.)

No comments: